Everything You Never Thought You Needed to Know about the Common Housefly
Fly Fact Sheet (Musca domestica)
- The Common Housefly, Musca domestica, is the most widely distributed animal on the planet that can be seen with the naked eye.
- There are over ten thousand species of flies.
- Farm raised houseflies produce more biomass, meat, per square foot than any other agricultural product.
- Houseflies are omnivores. They can get nutrients from vegetable or animal based foods. Our insects are raised on vegetable diet as it is safer for the animals who eat the insects. • It takes about twenty days for a new generation.
- The Flies' buzz sound is in the key of "A".
- In Payette we make nearly fifty different products with the
- Flies reproduce so rapidly that they would cover the earth except than nearly everything eats them.
- Flies are important to Idaho because they feed the wildlife and can be used to reduce manure wastes from farm animals like cows and chickens.
- Flies have fifty percent more protein than beef.
- The houseflies lived along side of dinosaurs.
- They live for thirty to forty days.
- The hen fly can lay up to 2500 eggs.
- Their two eyes have four thousand lenses per eye. Their vision is poor except for detecting the movement of predators.
- Most insects have four wings but flies have only two which beat at over two hundred beats per second.Every
- Flies smell with their antenna but taste with their feet. They can smell something to eat from over a quarter of a mile away.
- compiled by Skip (Skipio) Cockerum, 2014